"We will set up a team to inspect the mass graves of the victims of the 1965 tragedy in Pati and Wonosobo (in Central Java) as shown by the YPKP 65," Luhut said here on Monday.
The YPKP 65 (Yayasan Penelitian Korban Pembunuhan 1965-1966), a foundation searching for the victims of the tragedy that followed the failed coup attempt, said it has found 122 mass graves with about 13,999 bodies in Java and Sumatra.
On Monday, Bedjo Untung, chairman of YPKP 65 handed over the list of the graves to Luhut.
Before handing over the list, Untung asked the government to provide security protection for the YPKP members and witnesses in the tragedy.
Untung also asked that the mass graves should be protected and would not be moved or removed or damaged.
He said Luhut pledged protection for the YPKP members and the witnesses.
"This country is a big nation, therefore, the security of all citizens are guaranteed by law," Luhut was quoted as saying by Untung.
Human right activist of the International Peoples 1965 Tribunal Reza Muharam said the data about the mass graves had been reported to the National Human Right Commission (Komnas HAM).
"Komnas HAM has the data, the military has the data , the history institute also has the data about the victims. I hope there is an agency to unveil the truth to see the data to confirm the accuracy of number of victims," Reza said.
Earlier an international human right organization said millions of communists cadres and sympathizers were killed in the aftermath of the failed coup attempt in which a number of army general were murdered by the communist rebels.