"Indonesia has condemned the Orlando shooting incident. We expressed our deep sympathy to the families of the victims, the government, and the people of the United States," a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Arrmanatha Nasir stated in his tweet from the Ministrys Twitter account on Monday.
Director of Protection of Citizens and Legal Entities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Lalu Muhammad Iqbal confirmed that no Indonesian citizens were victims of the mass shooting incident in Orlando.
"The Indonesian Consulate General in Houston is currently seeking further information. However, so far, there were no reports of any Indonesian citizens who become victims of the attack," remarked Iqbal.
Based on data from the Consulate General in Houston, the total number of Indonesian citizens in Florida has now reached 2,522, comprising 1,263 men and 1,259 women.
"The Consulate General will continue to monitor the on-field developments in coordination with the local authorities and Indonesian community networks," Iqbal pointed out.
The Florida police have categorized the mass shooting incident that occurred at a gay club in Orlando as an act of terrorism.
The police said the shooting was allegedly carried out by a man named Omar Mir Seddique Mateen (29), a US citizen of Afghan descent.
Mateens former wife, Sitora Yusufiy, said that he was indeed suffering from mental disorders and had a rough character.
The Orlando incident was the worst in the history of mass shootings in the United States, which President Barack Obama has described as an act of terror and hatred.
(Reporting by Yuni Arisandy/Uu.INE/KR-BSR/F001)