Giuseppe Conte declared on Wednesday a state of emergency
covering the region around Genoa after a bridge collapse killed
39 people and severed the port city`s main land corridor with
Conte, speaking at a news conference in Genoa, said he made
the declaration after a request from regional authorities.
He also took aim at toll-road operator Autostrade, a unit of
Milan-listed Atlantia group, which operated the bridge
as part of a stretch of the A10 motorway it manages.
Conte said the firm had been responsible for ensuring safety
on the bridge and the government would not await the outcome of
a current criminal investigation into the disaster before taking
action. Earlier, the transport minister said the firm`s A10
motorway concession should be revoked and it be hit with heavy
(Reporting by Ilaria Polleschi
Editing by Mark Bendeich)
(Uu.SYS/C/T008/C/E002) 15-08-2018 23:47:10