At the same time the death toll of the tsunami disaster in the Sunda Strait, Banten province until 01:00 local time on Tuesday, has increased to 429 people from the previous figure of 397, an official has stated.
Spokesman of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) Sutopo Purwo Nugroho made the remarks at a press gathering here, adding that the tsunami affected five districts namely Pandeglang and Serang in Banten Province, and districts of South Lampung, Pesawaran and Tanggamus in Lampung Province.
Previously, Fahrizal, an official of the National Search and Rescue Agency said in the main Tsunami Disaster Monitoring Post in Labuan, Pandeglang, the death toll of the Suna Strait tsunami rose to 397 in Banten and South Lampung.
"I think the death victims has continued to increase to reach 397 now," Fahrizal said earlier.
Missing people in the two areas might not have been found yet, Fahrizal said, adding "we hope the team would find the bodies."
The western beach area of Banten is one of the most visited areas by tourists in Java especially during Christmas and New Year holidays.
"The number of the dead victims are feared to increase as there are still many missing people," Fahrizal said.
Reporting by Mansyur, A Saragih
Editing by Andi Abdussalam