President Jokowi leads limited meeting on Papua

President Jokowi leads limited meeting on Papua

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi)  led a limited meeting at the Merdeka Palace in Jakarta on Friday to discuss the latest situation in Papua (ANTARA/Desca Lidya Natalia)

At this limited meeting we discuss efforts to handle (the situation) in Papua. I hope that security and public order there could be maintained
Jakarta (ANTARA) - President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) conducted a limited meeting at the Merdeka Palace in Jakarta Friday to discuss the latest situation in Papua following a series of violent rallies in the easternmost Indonesian province.  

"At this limited meeting, we discussed efforts to handle (the situation) in Papua. I hope that the security and public order there can be maintained," the President said.

Also present at the meeting were Vice President Jusuf Kalla, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto, Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi, Minister/State Secretary Pratikno, Chief of the State Intelligence Body Budi Gunawan, Chief of the National Defense Forces (TNI) Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto, Chief of the National Police General Tito Karnavian, and Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung.

The President asked security apparatuses to take firm measures against lawbreakers.

"We have security rules. Anybody violating the law must be dealt with sternly. We do not tolerate rioting and anarchy. We order security apparatuses to take stern measures against anybody engaging in a racist slur in any form," he said.

He had been informed of the legal measures imposed on the civilian and military personnel involved in the racist slurs, Jokowi said.

"The measures have been imposed without exception. I have also ordered the immediate restoration of security and public order in Papua. The dignity and self-respect of all citizens without exception must be protected," he said.

The President has also ordered the immediate reconstruction of public utilities damaged in the rallies.

On Thursday, the residents of Jayapura, the Papua provincial capital, staged another protest against the alleged racist slurs targeting Papuan students in Surabaya, East Java, on August 16, but the rally turned violent.

The brutal demonstrators went on a rampage, setting ablaze several government buildings. The demonstrators also damaged the office of the ANTARA national news agency in the city.

On Wednesday, violence had erupted in Deiyai District, some 500 kilometers away from Jayapura, Papua Province’s capital city, resulting in the deaths of an army soldier and two civilians. 

Related news: Indonesia grapples with ending tensions in Papua and West Papua

Related news: President orders crackdown on rioting, anarchy in Papua

Related news: DPR denounces vandalistic attack on ANTARA office in Papua