"The number of traffic accidents in the week since the WFH (work-from-home policy) was enforced decreased to 113 from 126 the previous week (March 8-14)," said Jakarta Metropolitan Police director Sambodo Purnomo Yogo in a written statement received here on Friday.
The decline in traffic mishaps can be explained by the fact that the number of vehicles plying on the capital city’s roads has dropped by as much as 25 percent since the work-from-home policy was enforced, said Yogo.
For instance, the number of vehicles traveling on a protocol road between Sudirman and MH Thamrin fell 25 percent in the week ended March 21 compared to the previous week.
Between March 15 and March 21, the number of vehicles moving from Sudirman road to Thamrin road from south to north (Sarinah-Ratu Plaza) stood at 289,734 units, down 25.3 percent from 387,935 units in the week from March 8 to March 14 .
Meanwhile, the number of vehicles traveling north to south (Ratu Plaza-Sarinah) in the week ended March 21 was 138,568 units, a decline of 24.7 percent from 184,119 units recorded in the week ended March 14.
The volume of vehicles traveling from south to north or in the reverse direction was 428,302 units in the week ended March 21 compared with 572,052 units in the week ended March 14.
The Jakarta Metropolitan Police data showed the number of vehicles crossing the City Toll Roads to Soedyatmo toll fell to 56 percent on Sunday (March 22) compared to the previous week (March 15).
"The volume of daily vehicles on Sundays that cross the City Toll Roads to Soedyatmo toll has declined between 45.9 percent to 56.5 percent," Yogo said.
The Governor of DKI Jakarta had earlier issued a decree (No. 337/2020) on March 20, 2020 about the emergency response status of the coronavirus outbreak, or COVID-19, from March 20 to April 2. (INE)
Related news: Close contact chiefly causes COVID-19 transmission: govt spokesman
Related news: Indonesians should foster "gotong royong" to fight COVID-19: minister
EDITED BY INE