This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200429005893/en/
“The wide-ranging impact of this pandemic on our economies, populace and the world at large may not be truly known for some time,” said David Holl, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Mary Kay Inc. “But here’s what we’re sure of right now: people are suffering, and an unprecedented crisis requires everyone’s support. It’s our responsibility to help those affected by this virus—either directly, like our frontline workers, or indirectly, like women and children impacted by the alarming uptick in domestic violence cases.”
In response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, Mary Kay Inc., its subsidiaries around the world, and along with its four company-sponsored Foundations in Canada, Brazil, China and the United States, have taken the following actions targeted at supporting global and national relief efforts:
Supporting the Frontlines:
• Refocused global manufacturing efforts on the production and donation of essential items only, including personal care and hygiene products, as well as hand sanitizer that was donated to nearly 20 healthcare systems, 1,000 hospitals and 1.5 million combined frontline responders, physicians, and staff around the world.
• In an effort to support the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN), Mary Kay has made a donation of hand sanitizer to the Pan American Health Organization, Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO). The donation will support countries of the Americas in the response to COVID-19.
• Donated hand sanitizer to CARE (an international humanitarian agency) to support its critically needed COVID-19 response efforts in 63 developing countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East regions combating the crisis with scarce resources.
• Joined the World Economic Forum’s new COVID Action Platform created with the support of the World Health Organization. The global platform, the first of its kind, aims to convene the business community for collective action, protect people’s livelihoods and facilitate business continuity, and mobilize support for the COVID-19 response. The platform will support mechanisms for donation of hand sanitizer to the public health response in regions throughout the world where much-needed essential supplies are not readily accessible.
• Coordinated with the Personal Care Products Council (PCPC) and Feeding America to donate hand sanitizer to organizations in need.
• Donated hand sanitizer to healthcare systems and hospitals in the top ten hardest hit cities in the United States.
• Local support for areas surrounding Mary Kay’s global headquarters and manufacturing facility:
o Near Mary Kay Inc.’s global headquarters (Dallas, Texas), supplied hand sanitizer and other supplies to Dallas County First Responders, Addison Police Department, Tenet Healthcare, Baylor Scott & White Health, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Steward Health Care, HCA Hospital Network, Christus Health, Medical City Dallas, Parkland Health and Hospital, and the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Pop-Up Hospital.
o In Lewisville, Texas, home of the company’s global manufacturing facility, Mary Kay Inc. supplied hand sanitizer to the Lewisville Police Department and First Responders.
o Mary Kay Inc. supplied hand sanitizer to neighboring Tarrant County First Responders and public health needs.
Supporting Domestic Violence Prevention and Response Needs:
• The Mary Kay Foundation℠ (United States) announced the opening of COVID-19 grant relief applications, offering unrestricted monetary grants for domestic violence shelters in need. Three local domestic violence shelters in or around Dallas (Denton County Friends of the Family, The Family Place and Hope’s Door New Beginning Center) received $25,000 each to support their emergency shelter services and impact programs. The Foundation also donated $75,000 to Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support and its Conference on Crimes Against Women efforts (CCAW) in collaboration with the Dallas Police Department, supporting the mission of ending all violence against women.
• The Mary Kay Foundation℠ (United States), Independent Mary Kay National Sales Directors and Independent Mary Kay National Sales Directors Emeriti donated hand sanitizer to nearly 500 domestic violence shelters across the United States to ensure a healthy and safe environment for women and children seeking refuge from shelter-in-place orders that trap them in abusive situations. The nearly 500 domestic violence shelters support over 1.5 million women and children annually in the United States.
• Earlier this year, The Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation (Canada) issued $100,000 in domestic violence grants to ten domestic violence shelters. To continue relief efforts, the Charitable Foundation will issue smaller donations to nearly 40 more shelters and supply the almost 50 shelters in total with hand sanitizer.
• Instituto Mary Kay (Brazil) donated to the NGO Fala Mulher so the organization could buy the necessary prevention equipment (such as hand sanitizer, gloves and masks) to ensure the continuity of care for survivors of domestic violence.
Supporting Additional Efforts:
• The Mary Kay China Charity Fund donated to the Amity Foundation (an independent Chinese social organization dedicated to public health, social welfare, disaster relief and other philanthropic undertakings), and made early contributions to COVID-19 relief efforts in Wuhan, China. Mary Kay China also donated nutrition, skincare and hand care products to frontline female health workers and volunteers.
• Mary Kay Brazil and Instituto Mary Kay donated to the FIOCRUZ – Oswaldo Cruz Foundation to help produce 5,000 modern COVID-19 tests for public hospitals; donated to São Paulo State Fund to support efforts to purchase ventilators; and donated to the State Health Department to support special protection aprons for ICU workers in public hospitals.
• Mary Kay Mexico will donate hand sanitizer units to support lower economic communities: Bancos de Alimentos de Mexico (Mexico’s Foodbank Network), Unidas Contigo Monterrey (breast cancer awareness) and Fondo Semillas Mexico (domestic violence prevention).
• Mary Kay Russia donated hygiene products to the frontline workers at The N.V. Sklifosovsky Scientific Research Institute of First Aid and the A.S.Puchkov ER of the Moscow Health Department.
• There are many more efforts happening around the world in countries where Mary Kay operates to support local COVID-19 relief efforts.
Quotes from Partners/Supporting the Frontlines:
Dr. Ciro Ugarte, Director of PAHO Health Emergencies
“We are thankful for Mary Kay’s generous donation of hand sanitizer to the Pan American Health Organization, Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO). This donation will support the Organization’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, helping the countries of the Americas in slowing the virus’ spread in healthcare settings and protecting health workers who are at the forefront of the response to this pandemic.”
Michelle Nunn, CARE President and CEO
“CARE is working every day in vulnerable communities across the globe where healthcare systems are the most fragile. In times of pandemics, life becomes even more perilous in these communities. Hand sanitizers are an important resource in stopping the spread of COVID-19, particularly in places with limited access to water and sanitation, and where social distancing is a challenge to survival. That’s why we are grateful for Mary Kay’s generous donation to help keep communities safe.”
Pat Drury, WHO Manager, Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN)
“The mission of the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN), acting in collaboration with WHO, is to provide international public health resources to control outbreaks and public health emergencies across the globe. The network is connecting partner institutions for better health outcomes and networking international public health resources to support communities, and save lives in times of major outbreaks and public health emergencies. As we celebrate our 20th anniversary in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, our mission resonates now, more than ever. On behalf of those who will benefit most from this generosity, we are thankful to Mary Kay for its donation.”
Zara Ingilizian, Head of Consumer Industries and the Future of Consumption Platform, World Economic Forum
“The World Economic Forum, in partnership with the World Health Organization, is mobilizing all stakeholders to protect lives and livelihoods through its COVID-19 Action Platform. The spread of this disease demands global cooperation among governments, international organizations and the business community. Consumer Industries companies, such as Mary Kay, and their donations of life-saving sanitation products are playing a vital role in protecting the health and wellbeing of workers, healthcare professionals and consumers.”
Quotes from Partners/Supporting Domestic Violence Prevention and Response Needs:
Michelle Nunn, CARE President and CEO
“When combined in countries experiencing war, poverty, and instability, COVID-19 creates a perfect storm of factors that will exacerbate existing challenges many women and girls in these settings experience, including gender-based violence (GBV). We need to ensure that the emergency response to COVID-19 doesn’t forget society’s most marginalized and vulnerable people. The Mary Kay Foundation’s generous donation will help to keep women and girls safe from GBV and other threats during this time of crisis.”
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company more than 56 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at MaryKay.com.
About The Mary Kay Foundation℠
Guided by Mary Kay Ash’s dream to enrich the lives of women everywhere, The Mary Kay Foundation℠ raises and distributes funds to invest in breakthrough cancer research to find a cure for women-related cancers and ending domestic violence against women. Since 1996, The Mary Kay Foundation℠ has contributed more than $80 million to organizations aligned with its two-fold mission. In addition, the Foundation supports awareness initiatives, community outreach programs, and advocates for legislation to ensure women are healthy and safe. Together, we can make the world better for women. To learn more about how to educate, advocate, volunteer and donate, and join life-saving work to support and empower women, visit marykayfoundation.org, find us on Facebook and Instagram, or follow us on Twitter.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200429005893/en/
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Mary Kay Inc.