The fire broke out at 01.30 a.m. on Saturday and affected 59 kiosks at blocks B, C, D and E in the basement, spokesman of the Bantargebang market Nadih said.
He said the worst affected kiosks were at blocks C and D which mostly sold textiles and garments.
"For the time being, we believe the fire was caused by a short circuit in one of the kiosks," he said.
Trader Edi (43) said he suffered Rp20 million in losses which came from clothes burnt in the fire. "My kiosk measured 6 square meters. I rented it for Rp5 million a year. When the fire occurred I was not there. I only heard about the fire from my neighbor. When I came there my kiosk was already burnt down," he said.
Aris Risnaldi (40) who sold children`s clothes said he suffered Rp90 million in losses.
"I had clothes worth Rp40 million left in my kiosk when the fire occurred. My kiosk was valued at up to Rp50 million. When the fire occurred I was at my house which is about 200 meters from the market," he said.
No fatalities or injuries were reported in the fire.
The blaze could be put out at nearly 05.00 a.m. after the city fire department sent four fire trucks there.
Spokesman of the Bekasi city fire department Dudi Fasymy predicted that the fire might have caused a material loss of up to Rp3 billion. (*)