"The government has taken the right step to postpone the plan. The decision is helpful for people who continue to be trapped by the increasing need of life," legal business observer Peit Djemadu of the University of Nusa Cendana (Undana), said here on Sunday.
Chief Economic Minister Hatta Rajasa has earlier said that the implementation of subsidized fuel consumption limitation still needed a deep study and a correct time.
"We want all to understand that what we are going to do will proceed well, so please be patient," he said.
Djemadu said the government had earlier planned to announce regulations on subsidized fuel consumption limitation for cars of over 1,500 cc engine capacity as of May 1, 2012. It would be announced through the decrees of the energy and mineral resources minister, the industry minister and the transportation minister. But it was later postponed.
"The government must carry out a serious study before it implements the plan. If need be, it should involve a scientific study by universities so that a decision to be taken could help many people," Djemadu said.
He said that the consumption limitation for cars based their engine capacity would raise public debates.
Those who owned cars categorized as mini-MPV cars like Avanza, Xenia or other cars of that type and city car hatchback, for example, would question whether their vehicles would be affected by the policy, he said.
However, the government has put off its plan to begin implementing it as of May 1, 2012.
In replace of the plan, the government has decided to implement five measures to control use of subsidized fuels, Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Jero Wacik said.
"Just now we discussed control and restriction of subsidized fuel use with regard to maintaining the quota of subsidized fuel at 40 million kilo liters a year. We have decided five ways," he said after a cabinet meeting on energy on Thursday.