The traffic accidents seriously injured 36 people and lightly wounded 39 others, Senior Adjunct Commissioner Hermansyah, a spokesman of the Riau provincial police, said here on Monday.
Most of the victims were Idul Fitri homebound travelers riding motorcycles, he said.
The number of traffic accidents in the province this year decreased around five cases from that in the same period during last year`s Idul Fitri Muslim festivities.
During the ten days of the Operation "Ketupat" last year, there had been 42 traffic accidents killing 17 people, seriously injuring 36 and slightly wounder 30 others, he said.
Meanwhile, the number of traffic accidents across Indonesia has decreased compared with the same time last year, despite the exodus of home-bound travelers for this year`s Idul Fitri festivities.
Some 15 million Indonesians headed for their hometowns by land, air, and sea to celebrate Idul Fitri (Eid Fitr) on August 8 with their extended families.
To assist with managing traffic during the exodus, Indonesian Police launched Operation "Ketupat" on August 2, seven days ahead of Idul Fitri (D-7), and will run it until August 16, 2013 (D+7).
As part of Operation "Ketupat," the central government has deployed a joint task force of 88 thousand police officers and 62 thousand military personnel.
In support of the initiative, each provincial police station provided two-thirds of its personnel.
The Indonesian National Police Headquarters recorded a total of 471 fatalities in traffic accidents across the country until August 10, or D+2 after the Idul Fitri festivities.