Kontras criticizes Indonesian government over death penalty decision

Kontras criticizes Indonesian government over death penalty decision

Haris Azhar. (ANTARA/Yudhi Mahatma)

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - A non-governmental organization has criticized the government over its decision to execute six narcotic convicts on death row on Sunday.

The Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) said in a written statement on Saturday that death penalty is not the solution for stopping the distribution of narcotic drugs.

"Kontras is pessimistic about this decision effectively cutting the chain of narcotic drug distribution," Kontras Coordinator Haris Azhar said in the statement.

He strongly criticized the Attorney Generals statement on the planned execution of six narcotic convicts being aimed at saving the country from the danger of narcotics.

"The statement does not reflect the institutions agenda in the midst of the current global trend of death penalty eradication, which is also in line with the national human rights agenda," Azhar pointed out.

Attorney General HM Prasetyo had earlier confirmed that the six narcotic convicts on death row will be executed at 00.00 hours on Sunday.

"We have decided to carry it out at 00.00 hours on January 18 in Nusakambangan and Boyolali," he said on Friday.

Prasetyo added that six firing groups have been prepared to execute the convicts simultaneously in view of their psychological condition.

He said representatives from the embassies concerned had already arrived in Nusakambang and Boyolali to witness the process of execution of their citizens.

The six convicts to be executed are Namaona Denis (48) a Malawian, Brazilian national Marco Archer Cardoso Mareira (53), Nigerian Daniel Enemua (38), Ang Kim Soei (62), nationality unknown, Tran Thi Bich Hanh (37), a Vietnamese and Rani Andriani or Melisa Aprilia, an Indonesian.

(Reporting by Muhammad Razi Rahman/Uu.H-YH/INE/KR-BSR/M007)

Comments