Indonesia strongly condemns terrorist attack on hospital in Quetta, Pakistan

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The government of Indonesia has strongly condemned the terrorist attack on a public hospital in Quetta, Pakistan, on Monday, which killed at least 70 people and left many others injured, Foreign Affairs Ministry's spokesperson Arrmanatha Nasir said.

"The government and the people of Indonesia offer their deepest condolences to the families of the victims, the government and the people of Pakistan on the tragic loss of lives, and wished for early recovery of the injured people," Nasir noted here on Tuesday.

Nasir affirmed that Indonesia and Pakistan share the same values of peace and were against all forms of terrorism. He also hoped that the Pakistani authorities will take all necessary action to bring the perpetrators behind the act of terror to justice.

According to the Indonesian Embassy in Islamabad, there are 955 Indonesian citizens in the country, of which 702 live in the embassy's working area and 253 people in the Consulate General in Karachi.

As of now, no Indonesian was affected by the attack, the embassy has reported. However, it has issued an advisory to all Indonesians in Pakistan to be more cautious and stay in touch with the embassy from time to time.

According to Reuters, a suicide bomber in Pakistan killed at least 70 people and wounded more than 100 on Monday in an attack on mourners gathered at a hospital in the southwestern city of Quetta. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.

The bomber struck when a crowd of mostly lawyers and journalists had come crowding the emergency department to accompany the body of a prominent lawyer who had been shot and killed in the city earlier in the day, Faridullah, a reporter who was among the wounded, told Reuters.

The attack was the deadliest in Pakistan since an Easter Day bombing ripped through a Lahore park, killing at least 72 people. Jamaat-ur-Ahrar had claimed responsibility for the bombing. 

Comments