We are monitoring the case, but we have not made any communication yet."Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Indonesias Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi held a meeting with Sabah Chief Minister Dato Nusa Aman in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, to discuss the maritime security situation, following the kidnapping of two Indonesians in Sabah waters.
"During the meeting, Retno expressed her concern for the kidnapping of two Indonesians working for Malaysian fishing boats on November 5," the Ministrys Director of Indonesian Protection, Lalu Muhammad Iqbal said in a text message to Antara here on Tuesday.
The meeting was also attended by the Commander of Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) Major General Wan Abdul Bari. Esscom is responsible for the security of Sabah waters.
Sabahs Chief Minister and the ESSCOM Commander told Retno, that they understood her concern, saying there is a need to improve the waters security mechanism.
The officials further said that they would adopt some new measures, including requirements for ship owners to equip their boats with an Automatic Identification system (AIS), promote sailing safety for employers, as well as ships crew members, improve quick response mechanisms, and install safety points around Sabah waters.
Previously, Retno had said she is yet to get information on the whereabouts of the fishermen and their kidnapper.
"We are monitoring the case, but we have not made any communication yet. For such cases, we can usually map the situation only after two or three days on their whereabouts, who holds them, and so on," she said after meeting with her Malaysian counterpart Dato Seri Anifah Aman in Kuala Lumpur, Monday.
"Hopefully, within one or two days we can get more comprehensive information on the whereabouts of our brothers," she said.
(Reported by Roy Rosa Bachtiar/Uu.S022/INE/A/KR-BSR/A014)
Editor: Priyambodo RH
Copyright © ANTARA 2016