Nanggung, Bogor, W Java (ANTARA) - Police have confirmed that two miners died in a landslide at an illegal mining site located at the foot of Mount Pongkor in Bogor District, West Java.
"This is to clarify that eight miners fell victim in the incident. We found two bodies and six survivors. Now they are being treated and we will question them later to get more information,"
Nanggung subdistrict police chief Adjunct Commissioner Asep Saepudin said here on Tuesday.
In its first day evacuation on Monday (13/5), the rescue team found the dead miners, known by their initial Y (30) and HB (49), and six survivors namely DD (25), DK (18), ND (45), IW (40), P (35), and PL (25).
In its second day of searching on Tuesday, the team confirmed that no other victims were at the site, as previously claimed by survivors, and all miners had been evacuated..
"They (the miners) said no more miners were left at the site. But we have to confirm that their information is not wrong," Saepudin said.
Earlier in the day, spokesman of the Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said tens of miners were buried in a landslide at a mining site located at the foot of Mount Pongkor, Bantar Karet Village, Bogor District, West Java Province, on Sunday, May 12.
"Unstable land and incessant heavy rains triggered a landslide on Mount Pongkor," Nugroho said in a statement on Tuesday.
Rescuers found five unidentified miners and three survivors, he added.
Search operations continued, despite difficult terrain, as the landslide site was described as very steep and on at the foot of the mountain.
Related news: 68 natural disasters hit W Java's Sukabumi District in April: Official
Related news: Over 5,000 residents of Yogyakarta affected by natural disasters
Related news: Bengkulu flooding, landslides claim 29 lives