Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Jakarta Metropolitan Police confirmed that security around the National Monument (Monas) Square's outer area would not be increased after a smoke grenade blast, Tuesday morning, at this capital city's landmark, injuring two army personnel.

Jakarta Metropolitan Police Chief Inspector General Gatot Eddy Pramono conveyed the decision on not tightening security around the outer area of Monas Square where the State Palace and other important government buildings are located.

Pramono also urged the public to return to their routine activities and not harbor any feelings of trepidation regarding the blast, caused by a smoke grenade that injured Sgt Major Fajar and Master Private Gunawan.

"The smoke grenade can be held by anybody, including those from the Community Control (Dalmas) team," he remarked without further expounding on it.

The blast took place a day after the Monas Square served as a venue for convening this year's 212 reunion rally. To secure this annual event, some 9,023 police and military personnel were deployed at several strategic areas, including the Monas Square area.

The 212 reunion rally ran peacefully, and the peaceable conduct of the participants garnered praises from the Jakarta Metropolitan Police and Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, who affirmed that the event reflected Indonesia's unity in diversity.

In the meantime, the Jakarta Military Command (Kodam Jaya) confirmed that the smoke grenade blast that inflicted injuries on two army personnel engaged in sports at the Monas Square area, Central Jakarta, was not an attack.

"No one launched an attack on them," Lt Col Zulhadrie, the Kodam Jaya spokesman, stated while adding that Sgt Major Fajar and Master Private Gunawan were partaking in sports and a fun walk at the area along with their colleagues from the Jakarta garrison.

During the fun walk, they came across a plastic bag containing a smoke grenade. However, it exploded abruptly and caused injuries to the two ill-fated army personnel, who were then hospitalized at the Gatot Subroto Army Hospital (RSPAD).

In connection with this case, the Jakarta Metropolitan Police stated that Sgt Major Fajar and Master Private Gunawan were the eye witnesses in the blast since they were among those who firstly knew of the blast and heard it.

However, they continue to receive medical treatment for their injuries, Jakarta Metropolitan Police Chief Inspector General Gatot Eddy Pramono had noted earlier. Related news: Two TNI personnel become eye witnesses of Monas Square blast: police
Related news: Monas' smoke grenade blast case left to police for probe: Jokowi


Translator: Fianda SR, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Suharto
Copyright © ANTARA 2019