The President has ordered an immediate investigation (of the tragedy).  There must be people who are responsible  (for the tragedy
Malang, Jawa Timur (ANTARA) - Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture Muhadjir Efendi said police will soon investigate the tragedy which left 130 people dead following a football match at Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang District, East Java Province, on Saturday evening.

The investigation will be conducted in accordance with President Joko Widodo's instruction to reveal the cause of the tragedy, Effendi said here, on Sunday.

"The President has ordered an immediate investigation (of the tragedy). There must be people who are responsible (for the tragedy)," he said.

Effendi said the government expressed regret over the tragedy which occurred following a football match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya on October 1, 2022.

Related news: Polri sends DVI team to help identifying soccer match stampede victims

He added that the government also promised to provide compensations to the heirs of the dead victims and bear the medical costs of the victims undergoing medical treatment.

"The President has ordered (the East Java) governor to coordinate (with relevant parties) including the social affairs minister to distribute the compensations," he said.

The President also ordered All Indonesia Football Association (PSSI) to suspend the League 1 indefinitely., he said .

In addition, he said the police have also not decided about who is responsible for the incident.

"For the time being the league is suspended. I don't know who was held responsible for the tragedy," he said.

Related news: President Jokowi orders investigation into Malang football tragedy

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has instructed National Police Chief General Listyo Sigit Prabowo to conduct a thorough investigation into the tragedy that killed 130 people and injured some 180 others following the football match.

Arema FC supporters at Kanjuruhan Stadium stormed the pitch after their team lost 2-3 to Persebaya. Police responded with tear gas that triggered a stampede.

East Java Regional Police Chief Inspector General Nico Afinta in a press statement on Sunday morning, said that Arema FC supporters were disappointed and so they stormed the pitch to look for players and officials.

According to Nico Afinta, the tear gas was fired because the angry supporters could endanger the football players and officials.

Related news: Minister asks PSSI, LIB to probe Kanjuruhan Stadium riot, stampede

Related news: Surabaya Mayor urges everyone to reflect on Kanjuruhan tragedy

Translator: Suharto
Editor: Fardah Assegaf
Copyright © ANTARA 2022