Sragen, Central Java (ANTARA) - Indonesian President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) inaugurated the Modern Rice Milling Plant (MRMP) belonging to state-owned logistics company, Bulog, in Karangmalang Village, Masaran Sub-district, Sragen District, Central Java, on Saturday.

Jokowi noted that the MRMP had started to operate not only in Sragen but also in Subang, Kendal, Karawang, Lampung, Bojonegoro, and Magetan.

The president affirmed that the rice milling plant will help Bulog to strengthen its ability in absorbing grain at large capacities from farmers.

To this end, he urged the Bulog president director to absorb as much grain as possible from farmers, with the price of harvested dry rice grain (GKP) to be determined by the Head of the National Food Agency (NFA).

"We want the price from farmers to be reasonable, so everyone can benefit from it, including the community as rice consumers," Jokowi stated.

According to the head of state, maintaining the price balance was no easy task. To this end, he ordered Bulog to absorb 2.4 million tons of rice to realize better price stability.

On the same occasion, Bulog President Director Budi Waseso explained that his side would follow the market price for the absorption of rice instead of the government purchase price (HPP).

"If rice is sold at Rp7,500 or Rp5,500 per kilogram, it will be purchased by the community according to the market price absorbed from many areas. This decision will be effective until further price determination is set by NFA," Waseso remarked.

By building MRMP, Waseso is optimistic that Bulog would be able to absorb 120 tons of GKP per day from seven MRMPs.

"Bulog has a capacity to absorb 3.6 million tons of GKP. For this year, Bulog is assigned to absorb 2.4 million tons of rice reserves. About 70 percent of the 2.4 million tons can be absorbed during the main harvest period. This means that Bulog must be able to absorb around 1.5 million tons during the main harvest period and the remaining 30 percent during the dry harvest period," he explained.

During a working visit to the Bulog MRMP in Sragen, Jokowi was accompanied by State Secretary Minister Pratikno, Head of NFA Arief Prasetyo Adi, Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo, and head of Sragen District Kusdinar Untung Yuni Sukowati.

Related news: Food task force seals rice milling plant in Bekasi
Related news: Indonesia has surplus food ahead of Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr: Ministry

Translator: Bambang Dwi M, Resinta S
Editor: Rahmad Nasution
Copyright © ANTARA 2023