Media Group reports cabinet secretary to police over statement

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Media Group, a company owning Metro TV and Media Indonesia daily, on Saturday reported Cabinet Secretary Dipo Alam to the police over his recent call for a boycott of the two media outlets.

Dipo made the call in retaliation for their constantly disparaging reporting on the government.

Media Group sent Metro TV director Tomi Suryopratomo, vice director Sugeng Suprawoto and Media Indonesia daily`s news division chief Gaudensius Suhardi to report the case to the police, flanked by lawyer OC Kaligis.

Three days ago, Media Group officially rebuked Dipo over his boycott call, demanded that he rescind it and offer an apology to the public as his act was a violation of press freedom and the public right to access to information.

"Dipo has been reported based on a fact because he did not respond to our rebuke ," OC Kaligis said.

Dipo is considered having violated Law Number 40 of 1999 on the Press and Law Number 52 on Public Information Transparency.

"We think Dipo has violated principles of press freedom," Kaligis said adding Dipo had been given three days to respond to the rebuke.(*)

Comments