Communications network back to normal after Bali quake

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The cellular phone networks which was previously cut off in most parts of Bali after the 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit the resort island on Thursday has returned to normal, a cellular phone operator said.

Head of Corporate Communications of PT XL Axiata Tbk cellular operator, Febriati Nadira made the statement here on Thursday.

"Now XL network can be used because the network infrastructure is under normal conditions or no interference," Nadira said.

According to Nadira, based on the report from direct conversations to a number of locations in Bali, XL service can still meet the needs of customers with good communication.

Earlier, the corporate communications officer of cellular phone operator PT Telkomsel for Bali and Nusa Tenggara areas, Pandu M said that internet access including facilities at BlackBerry cellular phone was disrupted.

The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) said earlier in the day the quake was centered 143 km southwest of Dua Dua, Bali, at a depth of 10 km. But the quake did not have the potential to cause a tsunami.

The quake was followed by an aftershock measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale at 03.52 p.m.

At least 46 people have been taken to Sanglah Hospital in Bali following the quake.

In addition, the Denpasar city`s Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) said 19 buildings were damaged due to 6.8 earthquake.

The 19 buildings consist of eight schools, six houses, a monument, a hospital, a museum, Denpasar`s Regional Representatives Council office and a firefighters` office.
(T.R017/Uu.B003/HAJM/H-YH)

Comments