Govt has no plans to revise electrical power supply target of 35,000 MW

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government does not plan to revise its electrical power supply target of 35,000 megawatts for the next five years, Chief of the National Development Planning Board (Bappenas) Sofyan Djalil has said.

"We will not revise it. If it cannot be achieved because of one or more things, that will be a factor we will deal with in the field," he said here on Monday.

Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Sudirman Said stated earlier that President Joko Widodo had ordered the evaluation of 35,000 megawatt-capacity electrical power plants as many investors questioned the progress in the realization of the project.

The president underscored the importance of conducting in-depth and comprehensive evaluation of the project, ranging from tender process and financing to management at state electricity company, PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN).

Sofyan informed that the construction of 35,000-megawatt capacity power plants has been incorporated in the medium term national development plan for 2015-2019.

In this regard, Bappenas itself does not have a lot of things to do because the realization of the project is PLNs responsibility, he said.

"At the technical level, it is in the hands of the PLN. This is not a government project. The energy and mineral resources minister also cannot realize it, except to carry out rural electrification programs," he stated.

Bappenas has so far only helped PLN resolve problems related to loans or financing from foreign financial institutions, including the World Bank, he explained.(*)

Comments