Death toll of Banten's earthquake has climbed to six

Death toll of Banten's earthquake has climbed to six

Military personnel helped victims of the 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Banten on Saturday (3/8/2019). ANTARA/Weli Ayu/sh

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The death toll of the strong earthquake that rocked Banten Province on Friday has increased to six, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).

"The casualties are recorded in Pandeglang, Lebak and Sukabumi Districts," Spokesman of the BNPB Agus Wibowo said in a statement that ANTARA received here on Sunday.

In Pandeglang District, one resident died and two others got injured while in Lebak District, three residents died. Pandeglang and Lebak Districts are located in Banten Province. Two other dead victims were the residents of Sukabumi District in West Java Province.

The strong earthquake also wounded another resident of Sukabumi and forced 114 families to take refuge to their relatives' houses.

Related news: Banten earthquake damages 178 buildings

In Lampung Province, some 1,000 residents fled their homes as they could also felt the tremor. But, they had already returned to their houses.

The 6.9-magnitude quake's epicenter was located at 7.54 degrees southern latitude and 104.58 degrees eastern longitude, at a depth of 10 kilometers (km) below sea level, and 147 km southwest of Sumur, or 164 km southwest of Pandeglang in Banten Province.

The National Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) promptly issued a tsunami early warning, though it was revoked two hours later.

The tremor was felt in Pandeglang at Modified Mercalli Intensity (MMI) of IV-V; Jakarta, at III-IV MMI; Bandung, Serang, Bekasi, Tangerang, Bandar Lampung, Purwakarta, Bantul, and Kebumen at II-III MMI; and Nganjuk, Malang, Kuta, and Denpasar at II MMI.

The BMKG noted that the earthquake was due to the Indo-Australian plate subducting under the Eurasian plates.

Related news: Indonesians told to ignore 9-magnitude earthquake rumors: BMKG

Comments