“I think we all do not want the Jokowi government not to leave any legacy with regard to the settlement of gross human rights violations. There are still four years away to resolve the gross human rights violations," Komnas HAM commissioner for education and counseling, Beka Ulung Hapsara, said at an online press conference on ‘Challenge to the Promotion and Upholding of Human Rights during the Joko Widodo - KH. Ma'aruf Amin Administration’ here on Wednesday.
There is a need for urgency in the settlement of gross human rights violations as victims as well as suspected perpetrators are getting older, he noted. Hence, justice for the victims and their families will fearfully fade away if there is delay, he added.
Meanwhile, Komnas HAM commissioner for mediation Hairansyah said it is important to resolve “gross” human rights violations immediately to show the effectiveness of the process of handling cases and the responsibility of the state.
The rights body has so far recommended a settlement for each “gross" human rights violation. However, it has allowed the government to take alternative settlements, in accordance with human rights principles.
Hairansyah said he was worried that if human rights violations remain unsolved, they will recur and their number will swell.
“Not only gross human rights violation, but also other human rights violations will emerge. Of course, when human rights cases are not settled, (it is) as if the perpetrators' impunity is preserved," he remarked.
Among past violations that remain unresolved are the 1965 incident, mysterious shootings of 1982-1985, Talangsari case (1989), the Trisakti- Semanggi case (1998), abduction of activists in 1997-1998, May 1998 riots, Semanggi Tragedy II 1999, and Wasior and Wamena case (2001-2003).
Related news: Komnas HAM Papua Reveals Case of Victim MB’s Death in Asiki
Related news: 2019 was bleak year for human rights enforcement: Komnas HAM