Jakarta (ANTARA) - Several sympathizers of Islam Defenders Front (FPI) leader Habib Rizieq Shihab shouted "Allahu Akbar" while witnessing this well-respected ulema get escorted to a car carrying him to the Jakarta Metropolitan police's detention center on early Sunday.

Some of the sympathizers who gathered with a pack of journalists at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police headquarters did not just shout "Takbir" (Allah is the greatest) but they also prayed for God's protection for this well-respected ulema.

Habib Rizieq Shihab was detained after the police investigators grilled him for about 12 hours over the case of alleged breach of the government's health protocols in a series of crowds-pulling events, held at his home and FPI headquarters in Petamburan, last month.

Habib Rizieq Shihab wore a Muslim attire and an orange jacket, depicting that he has officially been under the police custody, while his two hands were handcuffed with a white plastic zip tie.

Several videos showing the moments of Shibab's custody went viral on Youtube channel, One of the videos was released by UAH and UAS Lovers in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jonxnf84tL0 which had been watched by more than 83,000 viewers on Sunday at 01.28 p.m. Western Indonesia Standard Time (WIB).

Shortly after being transported to the police's detention center, National Police Spokesman Inspector General Argo Yuwono held a press conference at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police headquarters on early Sunday.

Yuwono said Habib Rizieq Shihab was detained at the detention center of the Jakarta Metropolitan Police's Narcotics Investigation Directorate for 20 days from December 12, 2020.

"The suspect is detained from December 12 to December 31, 2020," Yuwono said, adding that the police investigators decided to detain Shihab with objective and subjective considerations.

Among the points that the investigators had taken into account for deciding the suspect's custody were the length of prison sentence which was potentially more than five years, and efforts to make him unable to destroy evidence, run away, and do similar crimes.

During the questioning, Shihab, who recently lost six of his guards that were killed early this week, received 84 questions from the police investigators who charged him for violating Articles 160 and 216 of Criminal Law.

Regarding Shihab's custody shortly after completing the police's interrogation over the case of alleged health protocol breach, Jakarta Metropolitan Police spokesperson Sen. Coms. Yusri Yunus had hinted on Saturday.

Yunus said the FPI leader was directly arrested shortly after police investigators completed interrogating him. However, Yunus affirmed that police investigators had the final authority to take the decision on whether Shihab would later be detained.

FPI leader Shihab fulfilled his promise by showing up at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police headquarters at about 10:30 a.m. local time on Saturday. He was accompanied by his team of lawyers and several top figures of FPI.

This outspoken Muslim cleric wore a face mask while arriving at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police headquarters.

Shihab's lawyer, Aziz Yanuar, said earlier that his client would abide by the police investigators' possible decision to detain him following questioning.

"Insya Allah (God willing), he (Habib Rizieq Shihab) is ready for any possible outcome because he is a fighter," Yanuar remarked, adding that the team of lawyers were ready to support Shihab if he were to be detained.

Yanuar noted that his client and team of lawyers had thoroughly thought it out and had prepared necessary endeavors regarding the handling of this case, Yanuar added.

On Friday evening, Shihab had publicly announced his pledge to show up at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police headquarters on Saturday to answer the police's summons over the case of alleged health protocol breach.

In his public statement released by Front TV's YouTube channel, Shihab, who recently lost six of his guards that were killed early this week, claimed to have never escaped from or gotten rid of the legal process, though he sought rest for complete health recovery.

"I have neither ever run away nor hidden. I repeat again, I have neither ever escaped nor hidden because during my health recovery process, I stayed much more at the Markas Syariah Agricultural Islamic Boarding School in Megamendung, West Java," he emphasized.

Shihab was named a suspect on Thursday along with five other people on grounds of violation of health protocols during the events at his home and the FPI headquarters in Jakarta last month.

The five other suspects are head of the events' organizing committee Haris Ubaidillah, secretary of the events' organizing committee Ali bin Alwi Alatas, FPI commander in charge of security affairs Maman Suryadi, FPI's general chairman responsible for the events Sobri Lubis, and Idrus, who was in charge of the events' rundown.

The Jakarta Metropolitan Police also appealed to the government's authorized agencies to impose 20-day travel bans on Shihab and five others to prevent them from traveling abroad.

Regarding the Shihab case, the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) pressed for applying fair law enforcement in the case of this well-respected FPI leader to avoid any offense to the public sense of justice in communities.

"Law must truly be used as an instrument for educating and not as an instrument for targeting," MUI Deputy Chairman Anwar Abbas had earlier stated.

The police's decision to name Shihab as a suspect for violating health protocols in holding events that led to the congregation of people must reflect the use of law as an instrument to edify rather than target, Abbas stated.

Abbas emphasized that law enforcement against Shihab and his men over the cases of holding crowd-drawing events must also be imposed fairly and equally on other community members found breaching the government's COVID-19 protocols in the country.

Failing to implement the principle of fair law enforcement and public sense of justice would only create unrest among members of the public, he cautioned.

"To this end, we hope, without exception, that all people or parties that have breached the COVID-19 rules, as the police have accused Habib Rizieq Shihab of having done, would also be named suspects," he affirmed.

Early this week, Jakarta Metropolitan Police Chief Inspector General Fadil Imran declared that on-duty police investigation officers had shot dead six guards of the FPI leader for attacking them.

The incident took place on Monday, December 7, 2020, at 00:30 a.m. local time on the Jakarta-Cikampek KM 50 Toll Road, Imran revealed.

However, the FPI denied claims of its members having attacked police officers on grounds that they were unarmed.

Instead, FPI Secretary General Munarman affirmed that the fatal shooting was an extrajudicial killing. Hence, he urged to uncover the truth behind the incident by forming an independent fact-finding team that involved Indonesia's National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM).

Editor: Suharto
Copyright © ANTARA 2020