Patrolman 1st Class Komang Wira Natha is a true Brimob officer. May God the Almighty rest his soul in peace
Timika, Papua (ANTARA) - The coffin of a Mobile Brigade (Brimob) officer, who lost his life in the line of duty in Papua, was flown from Timika in Mimika District to Palembang, South Sumatra, on Wednesday.

Before the casket was transported to the Mozes Kilangin Airport, last respects were paid to this fallen police officer at an event at the Timika-based Brimob headquarters.

Patrolman 1st Class Komang Wira Natha got killed in a gunfight with several armed Papuan separatist terrorists in Makki Village, Ilaga Sub-district, Puncak District, on Tuesday.

Natha's coffin was flown aboard a Batik Air plane to Palembang, the capital of South Sumatra Province.

"Patrolman 1st Class Komang Wira Natha is a true Brimob officer. May God the Almighty rest his soul in peace," Commander of the Mobile Brigade Corps Insp. Gen. Anang Revandoko stated.

Following the death of Indonesia's top agent in an ambush on April 25, 2021, security personnel raided an armed Papuan separatist terrorist group's headquarters in Makki Village, Ilaga Sub-district, on Monday and Tuesday.

During the gunfights with the Lekagak Telenggen-led armed group members, five rebels got killed, and a member of the Nemangkawi Task Force, a joint team of Indonesian military and police, died on duty.

Over these past four months, Papua has borne the brunt of a string of violent attacks by armed separatist terrorist groups targeting innocent civilians in districts, such as Puncak and Intan Jaya.

The armed groups often employ hit-and-run tactics against Indonesian security personnel while unleashing acts of terror against civilians to trigger fear among the people.

Ojek drivers, teachers, students, and street food vendors, among others, have fallen victims to their terror acts. They also attacked civilian aircraft.

On the evening of April 11, 2021, several armed Papuan separatist terrorists torched a parked PT Ersa Air helicopter awaiting repair at the Ilaga Airport in Puncak District.

As a result, the outer hull of the helicopter caught fire. The ill-fated helicopter was parked at the airport since March 31, 2021, whilst awaiting the arrival of necessary spare parts to solve its engine problem.

On January 6, 2021, some 10 armed Papuans had also vandalized and torched a Quest Kodiak aircraft belonging to the Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) at the Pagamba village airstrip.

The armed men, led by Sabinus Waker, reportedly set the utility aircraft ablaze shortly after its American pilot Alek Luferchek disembarked two passengers.
Related news: Five dead after joint military-police team raids armed criminals' HQ

Related news: Flight services restarted at Aminggaru Airport in Papua's Ilaga


Translator: E.Supar, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Fardah Assegaf
Copyright © ANTARA 2021