Purwakarta, West Java (ANTARA) - The National Population and Family Planning Agency (BKKBN) has asked the residents of Purwakarta district, West Java, to contribute to efforts to reduce stunting to help achieve the 2024 zero stunting target.

"Stunting prevention must be done together," director of quality development for family planning services at BKKBN Martin Suanta said in Kertajaya village, Pasawahan sub-district, in Purwakarta on Tuesday.

President Joko Widodo has appointed the agency as a coordinator for pursuing stunting reduction, he noted. Thus, Suanta said his administration will continue to disseminate information on the matter.

However, the handling of stunting in the country involves a number of government agencies, thus, collaboration is needed, he pointed out.

In 2045, Indonesia will reap a demographic bonus, which means that 70 percent of Indonesia's population will be in the productive age group of 15–64 years, while the remaining 30 percent of the population will be unproductive (under 14 years old and over 65 years old) in the 2020–2045 period.

To realize the goal of a golden generation in 2045, efforts are currently on, including for reducing the stunting rate to zero by 2024.

"In 2045, Indonesia will (have) the golden generation. This means that superior, high-quality human resources must be prepared. But how would you create a golden generation, superior, and good-quality human resources if there are still many stunting cases? That's why the acceleration of stunting reduction was conducted," he said.

According to him, the progress in reducing stunting will determine Indonesia's success in creating a superior and quality generation by 2045.

Therefore, he urged everyone to help the government in reducing the stunting rate in their respective regions.

Related news: BKKBN head highlights importance of demographic bonus
Related news: Customs, habits pose hurdles to reduce stunting in Bali: BKKBN

Translator: M Ali Khumaini, Mecca Yumna
Editor: Azis Kurmala
Copyright © ANTARA 2022