Ministry sends fish, staple goods for Cianjur quake victims

Ministry sends fish, staple goods for Cianjur quake victims

Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Sakti Wahyu Trenggono handing out aid to Cianjur earthquake victims in West Java. (ANTARA/HO-KKP)

We are doing our best to assist our brothers and sisters who fell victim to the earthquake here
Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Ministry has sent frozen fish, medicines, and rice for the victims of the 5.6-magnitude earthquake that struck Cianjur district, West Java, earlier this week.

“Earlier, we gave over three tons of fish as additional nutrition, rice, instant noodles, baby equipment, and medicines. We are doing our best to assist our brothers and sisters who fell victim to the earthquake here," Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Sakti Wahyu Trenggono informed in a press statement issued in Jakarta on Thursday following a visit to Cianjur.

The total value of the assistance from the ministry has reached Rp734.6 million (US$47 thousand). The figure will continue to increase because the ministry is continuing to pool aid among its employees.

The ministry has also established a post in its area of administration in West Java. The post is offering trauma healing services for refugee children and massage services.

"This visit is also aimed at gauging what we still need to help with, in-person. It is expected that together we can work hand in hand to speed up post-disaster recovery," the minister said.

While speaking to victims, Minister Trenggono asked them to always remain alert for aftershocks, which are still being experienced. Aftershocks were also recorded while he distributed aid.

"This is a reminder for us and this has happened. Of course, there are many lessons that we can take, including being able to care more about nature. The current important thing is that we unite to do whatever we can to aid the victims. And we pray that the conditions will soon get better, injured brothers and sisters are recovering, and the victims who are still missing can be found and evacuated immediately," he said.

As per data from the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, the death toll from the Cianjur earthquake has reached 271. Meanwhile, thousands have been injured, and dozens are still missing. The quake has also caused some buildings to collapse, forcing thousands of people to take shelter in tents.

Related news: President reviews medical treatment of Cianjur quake survivors
Related news: Some 40 still untraceable following Cianjur earthquake
Related news: Jokowi visits Cugenang Sub-district as most impacted by quake


Comments