Balikpapan, E Kalimantan (ANTARA) - At least 15 million trees will be planted in the Nusantara capital (IKN) in Sepaku, Penajam Paser Utara, East Kalimantan, which has an area of 100 thousand hectares.

"We will replant the original endemic trees," IKN Infrastructure Development Task Force Head Danis Hidayat Sumadilaga stated here on Saturday.

According to Sumadilaga, IKN carries the forest city concept and only 25 percent of the area will be built for residential areas, offices, and other facilities, while the rest 75 percent will constitute forests.

Another environmental project in IKN development is the nursery of seedlings in Mentawir in the eastern Sepaku Sub-district.

The nursery covers an area of 30 hectares and has ironwood seedlings (Eusideroxylon zwageri) and lowland rainforest trees (Dipterocarpaceae), such as bangkirai or balau (Shorea laevis), which can grow to 70 meters in height.

Related news: Endemic, native plant species to be planted in IKN area: Ministry

On a separate occasion, activist and environmentalist who won the Kalpataru Award, Agus Bei, reminded that Balikpapan Bay should not be forgotten in preserving the environment in the IKN development area.

"There is a mangrove forest area, which is a habitat for many species that contribute to the balance of nature," Bei pointed out.

Mangrove trees, such as Rhizopora mucronata, Rhizopora apiculata, Avicennia, Sonneratia, and Bruguiera, are proven to be protective and become environmental tourism destinations.

The 100-hectare mangrove center protects the residential area from strong winds at Balikpapan Bay and provides shade in hot temperatures and becomes a habitat for crocodiles and proboscis monkeys (Nasalis larvatus).

To this end, Bei said he has high expectations for the IKN development and future existence of the new capital.

"From what we know, the IKN concept of a forest city has been proven in Balikpapan, so it is worth waiting for its implementation on a larger scale at the national capital level," he stated.

Related news: IKN development with Forest City concept to mitigate climate change

Related news: IKN authority seeks experts' help in implementing forest city concept

Translator: Novi A, Kenzu
Editor: Yuni Arisandy Sinaga
Copyright © ANTARA 2023