Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK) has stated that waste management in Indonesia is being carried out sustainably with the help of a circular economy ecosystem.

"A collaboration approach is being taken to achieve the target of reducing emissions from waste within the framework of the 'zero waste, zero emission' program," said Rosa Vivien Ratnawati, Director General of Garbage, Waste, and B3 Management at KLHK, in Jakarta on Saturday.

The development of a circular economy ecosystem is crucial for preserving the environment while also promoting economic and social welfare, she added.

The collaboration between the government, business actors, the private sector, and the community aims to establish a waste management value chain.

"Each party has a role in a cyclical process, which will ultimately contribute to reducing national waste and achieving the target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions," she explained.

KLHK noted that Indonesia successfully reduced waste by 17.34 percent, equivalent to 12 million tons of total waste, to 69.2 million tons in 2022.

The ministry has launched a program called Clean Indonesia 2025 that focuses on national policies and strategies for managing household and similar waste.

Through this program, KLHK aims to handle 70 percent of the waste and reduce the remaining 30 percent through a strategy covering the entire waste management process.

"By strengthening the value chain among the parties involved, we are optimistic that we can collectively address challenges and provide solutions to tackle waste in Indonesia," Ratnawati expressed.

Related news: Govt highlights strategic role of waste banks in Indonesia
Related news: Circular economy principles key for handling plastic waste: ministry

Translator: Sugiharto Purnama, Katriana
Editor: Anton Santoso
Copyright © ANTARA 2023