"No regional head can neglect this issue. This is part of their responsibilities. The government's responsibilities lay in the hands of the president, part of which are handed over to the provincial government, districts, and cities,"Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Home Affairs Ministry urged regions in Indonesia to improve their primary health services in an effort to bring health services closer to the community.
"The Home Affairs Minister, Tito Karnavian, had requested governors, mayors, and district heads throughout Indonesia. Until next year, we must be able to bring primary services closer to the people, through the integrated health post (posyandu)," the ministry's secretary-general, Suhajar Diantoro, noted in a statement received on Wednesday.
He remarked that health service improvement is included in one of the government's priority programs.
Moreover, the government is encouraging hospitals in provinces, districts, and cities to handle serious illnesses that earlier could not be treated in the regions, Diantoro stated.
Data from the Home Affairs Ministry showed that around 67 percent of districts and cities in Indonesia are classified as healthy districts and cities, while the other 33 percent still need to optimize their health.
He remarked that out of 100 households, 91 have received proper drinking water, while the remaining nine still need clean water assistance from the regional government.
"Then, out of 100 households, 85 of them have received increased access to sanitation. This means that there are still 15 houses that need proper sanitation assistance from the regional government," he revealed.
Diantoro then emphasized that the government's assistance in the health sector is included in the basic services, some of which have been handed over to provincial, district, and city governments.
Hence, regional governments have the authority to deal with their own governance and regulate regional regulations.
"No regional head can neglect this issue. This is part of their responsibilities. The government's responsibilities lay in the hands of the president, part of which are handed over to the provincial government, districts, and cities," he explained.
He also congratulated the regional government for receiving the award and hoped that all regional heads would support the government's programs.
"The award is given by the health minister based on ministerial regulations. After this, we must continue our hard work, based on the president's order," he remarked.
Related news: Realizing Golden Indonesia 2045 by integrating Primary Health Service
Related news: Ministry launches program to integrate primary health services
Translator: Narda Margaretha S, Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor: Arie Novarina
Copyright © ANTARA 2023