With reference to the military actions launched by coalition forces in Libya since Friday (March 18), the Indonesian foreign ministry said in a statement on Monday : "Throughout the course of recent developments in Libya, the Indonesian government has consistently called for the protection by the International community, consistent with the principles of international law and the Charter of the United Nations, of innocent civilians who have fallen victims of unchecked violence."
A strict implementation of Security Council Resolution 1973 adopted last March 17, 2011 offers the potential for such protection of innocent civilians, it said.
The Indonesian government also emphasized that "ultimately, however there is an urgent need for the promotion of conditions conducive for a peaceful, democratic political process to take place in Libya."
The measures that need to be taken are for the avoidance of a cycle of violence and conflict and for the people of Libya to be able to chart their own democratic future.
As previously reported by AFP on Friday (March 18) the UN Security Council voted to allow air strikes to halt Moamer Kadhafi`s offensive against embattled rebel forces in Libya, with the first bombing raids carried out on Friday night.
The resolution permits "all necessary measures" to protect civilian areas and impose a ceasefire on Kadhafi`s military."
The vote passed 10-0 with five abstentions in the 15 member council. Permanent members China and Russia were among those abstaining, but did not use their veto power.