Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Air Force has confirmed that 13 people were killed in an Air Forces airplane crash in Wamena, Papua, on Sunday morning.

"The airplane flew 13 people consisting of 12 crew members and one passenger from Abdul Rachman Saleh airbase in Malang (East Java). All of them were killed in the crash," Air Force Deputy Chief Vice Marshal Hadiyan Suminta Atmadja said at Halim in Jakarta on Sunday.

The crew members of the Hercules plane are Major Marlon Kawer (pilot), Captain J. Hotlan F. Saragih (Co-Pilot), First Lieutenant Arif Fajar Prayogi (Navigator),First Lieutenant Hanggo Fitradhi, Warrant Office Class 1 Lukman Hakim, Warrant Office Class 1 Suyata, Warrant Office Class 1 Kusen, Sergeant Major Khodori, Warrant Officer Class 1 Agung Tri, Warrant Officer Class 2 Agung S, Sergeant Major Fatoni, and Second Sergeant Suyanto. One passenger was Captain Reno.

"From the report we have received there was no civilian passengers," said Hadiyan.

It was reported earlier that Indonesian Air Force aircraft Hercules A-1334 Navex 32 crashed in Jayawijaya, Papua, Sunday morning.

The spokesman of the regional XVII/Cenderawasih military command, Colonel Teguh PR confirmed the incident saying "at around 8am East Indonesia Time we received information from the Air Force base in Wamena that at around 06.09 it lost contact with Hercules A-1334 Navex 32 belonging to the Air Force while on a flight from Timika to Wamena with Major Marlon as its pilot."

The plane carrying 12 people on board is believed to have list contact while at around Mount Lisuwa in the Maima village, Minimo, Jayawijaya.

"According to the information there were 12 people on board," he said.

However, the Abdul Rahman Saleh official said there were 13 dead victims in the incident.

ANTARA learned the plane that carried food and other material supplies left Timika at 05.35am on Sunday and was expected to arrive in Wamena at 06.13am.

The plane last contacted Wamena airport at 06.02am and at 06.08 am it could be seen from the airports tower about to land before vanishing a minute later.

At 08.40 am or two hours later the location of the crashed had been found by 30 personnel of the 1702/Jayawijaya military region led by Captain Irvan in Mount Lisuwa, Jayawijaya.

Search and rescue team including personnel from the military and the police are still trying to evacuate the crew of the aircraft.(*)

Editor: Heru Purwanto
Copyright © ANTARA 2016