Residents asked to stay away from beaches

Residents asked to stay away from beaches

The atmosphere after the tsunami in the Banten area on Sunday (23/12/2018). (ANTARA PHOTO/ Dian Triyuli Handoko/Adm/hp.)

Yogyakarta (ANTARA News) - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) asked residents of the districts of Pandeglang, Serang and South Lampung to stay away from beaches in the Sunda Strait.

The BNPB made the appeal as there is still the possibility for a follow-up tsunami to take place.

"A series Mount Anak Krakatau eruptions is still taking place that could trigger follow-up tsunami," PNPB Spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said here on Sunday.

He said the safe distance from the beach lines in a number of locations that had been affected by the tsunami varies, depending on the topographies of the regions concerned.

The Sunda Strait tsunami waved the distance from 50 meters from the beach lines to 100 meters.

Until 1 p.m. local time, the BNPB has recorded 168 death toll of the tsunami that hit the Sunda Strait between the Java and Sumatra islands on Saturday evening.

A total of 745 were injured and 30 others went missing. The natural disaster also caused damages to 558 houses, nine hotels, 60 culinary stalls, 350 ships and boats.

The data was recorded in three districts affected by the tsunami, namely Pandeglang, Serang and South Lampung. The most severely damaged areas were in Pandeglang District with 126 dead, 624 injured, four missing, 446 damaged houses, nine heavily damaged hotels, 350 damaged boats, 60 damaged stalls, and damages to dozens of cars and bicycles motorcycle.

Reporting by Eka Arifa Rusquyati
Editing by Andi Abdussalam, Bustanuddin

Comments