SOP followed in crackdown on armed Papuan terrorists: police

SOP followed in crackdown on armed Papuan terrorists: police

Papua Police Chief Insp. Gen. Mathius D. Fakhiri. (ANTARA/Evarukdijati)

Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA) - Papua Police Chief Insp. Gen. Mathius D. Fakhiri emphasized that the Nemangkawi Task Force's members continued their law enforcement operations against armed Papuan terrorists, albeit conducting duties in line with the standard operating procedure (SOP).

Hence, Fakhiri denied a report that three women were shot during a law enforcement operation on May 15, 2021, and stressed that no innocent civilians had fallen victim to crackdowns on the terrorists.

In a statement that ANTARA quoted in Jayapura on Tuesday, Fakhiri remarked that in conducting law enforcement operations, army and police personnel joining the Nemangkawi Task Force made continued attempts to distance innocent civilians from the armed terrorists, who often used them as human shields.

The armed Papuan terrorists often occupy a honai, or traditional house, and use it as their hideout. In the wake of this reality, the task force members then attempt to separate the innocent civilians from the targeted perpetrators, he pointed out.

Fakhiri also denied a groundless report claiming that security personnel had opened fire from a helicopter while evacuating Patrolman 1st Class Komang Wira Natha killed in a gunfight with armed terrorists on April 27, 2021.

Those aboard the helicopter deployed to transport the body of the fallen police officer were left with no choice but to open fire to disperse the armed terrorists, who were on higher ground and shot bullets at the security personnel.

One of the helicopters dispatched to the evacuation site was shot from the ground, but it could return to the home base safely, Fakhiri stated.

Law enforcement operations in May had resulted in the deaths of three armed terrorists, he remarked.

Following the death of Indonesia's top agent in an ambush on April 25, 2021, security personnel raided an armed Papuan separatist terrorist group's headquarters in Makki Village, Ilaga Sub-district, on April 26 and April 27.

During the gunfights with the Lekagak Telenggen-led armed group members, five rebels got killed, and a member of the Nemangkawi Task Force, a joint team of Indonesian military and police, died on duty.

Over these past four months, Papua has borne the brunt of a string of violent attacks by armed separatist terrorist groups targeting innocent civilians in districts, such as Puncak and Intan Jaya.

The armed groups often employ hit-and-run tactics against Indonesian security personnel while unleashing acts of terror against civilians to trigger fear among the people.

Ojek drivers, teachers, students, and street food vendors, among others, have fallen victims to their terror acts. They also attacked civilian aircraft.

On the evening of April 11, 2021, several armed Papuan separatist terrorists torched a parked PT Ersa Air helicopter awaiting repair at the Ilaga Airport in Puncak District.

As a result, the outer hull of the helicopter caught fire. The ill-fated helicopter was parked at the airport since March 31, 2021, whilst awaiting the arrival of necessary spare parts to solve its engine problem.

On January 6, 2021, some 10 armed Papuans had also vandalized and torched a Quest Kodiak aircraft belonging to the Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) at the Pagamba village airstrip.

The armed men, led by Sabinus Waker, reportedly set the utility aircraft ablaze shortly after its American pilot Alek Luferchek disembarked two passengers.
Related news: PON Papua will be held on schedule, sports minister assures

Related news: Minister hands over compensation to fallen Brimob officer's family