The incident occurred very quickly.
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Vice President Ma'ruf Amin urged the police to conduct comprehensive investigation into a shooting incident that occurred at the office of the Central Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI), Jakarta, on Tuesday morning.

"The vice president is concerned about the incident and asked the security forces, especially the police, to closely investigate this incident," spokesperson for the vice president, Masduki Baidlowi, stated when contacted by ANTARA on Tuesday.

He remarked that one MUI staff was injured due to the incident after being shot at the back by an airsoft gun used by the perpetrators.

"It just scrapped his skin. Thus, there was no problem (major injury)," Baidlowi, who currently also serves as head for information and communication at the Central MUI, stated.

However, another staff, who was hurt by the shards of a door glass, which got shattered due to the shooting, suffered from a more severe injury, the spokesperson revealed.

Furthermore, he said that Vice President Amin was also concerned about the victims.

"We will monitor the condition of the victims, but it has not been decided whether the vice president will visit the victims or not. Usually, the vice president will pay a visit if an incident results in someone being a victim," he remarked.

Amin was the chairperson of the Central MUI from 2015 to 2020.

Head for Fatwa of the Central MUI Ni'am Sholeh stated while being met at the Central MUI’s office on Tuesday that the shooting occurred on the first floor of the office when the officials of MUI were holding a meeting on the fourth floor.

"The incident occurred very quickly,” he noted.

He stated that the perpetrator fired thrice, and the police had identified the weapon as an airsoft gun.

Meanwhile, Chief of the Jakarta Greater Regional Police Inspector General Karyoto stated that the perpetrator was an around 60-year-old man domiciled in Lampung and identified by his initials as M.

He said the perpetrator was in an unconscious state when caught by the officers.

The perpetrator was taken to the Menteng Community Health Center (Puskesmas) where he was declared dead by the doctor.

Karyoto stated that the body of the perpetrator had been brought to Kramat Jati Hospital for an autopsy.

“Later, from the autopsy, we will find out the cause of the death (of the perpetrator). Medicine, bankbook, and several letters were also found in his bag," he remarked.

Related news: Take immediate measures to end Sudan conflict: MUI to OIC, UN

Translator: Desca Natalia, Uyu Liman
Editor: Rahmad Nasution
Copyright © ANTARA 2023