"On April 3, two days after Eid, we observed an increase in the flow of travelers returning to their hometowns. From that evaluation, we concluded that the return flow is likely to be quite high," Purwagandhi said here on Saturday.
The policy extending the WFA is expected to gradually divide the flow of returning travelers, he explained.
"We see that implementing WFA is necessary to help alleviate congestion. We hope that the traffic density will not be too high so that the public can enjoy their return journey more comfortably," he said.
The extension of the WFA policy was announced earlier by Minister of Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform, Rini Widyantini. The WFA policy for civil servants was initially applied from April 3 to 5, and has been extended until April 8 or Tuesday.
Minister Purwagandhi said that he could not yet confirm the number of travelers this year or compare the figure with last year's Eid trend.
"Since it is not over yet, we have not calculated it. Once everything is complete, we will calculate it so that we can have a final figure," he added.
He emphasized that the Transportation Ministry's priority is to ensure the smooth operation of transportation infrastructure during both the Eid homecoming travel and the return flow.
"What's important is how to prepare the infrastructure and facilities so that this travel period can be safer and more comfortable for the public," he added.
Related news: Traffic Corps to introduce local, national one-way return flow scheme
Related news: Indonesian police outline traffic strategy for Eid return flow
Translator: Luqman, Kenzu
Editor: Rahmad Nasution
Copyright © ANTARA 2025