Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesia on Tuesday urged Israel to immediately release all ships and crew members detained during the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 humanitarian mission bound for Gaza, Presidential Chief of Staff Dudung Abdurachman said.

Dudung said the demand followed coordination between the Indonesian government and the Foreign Ministry in response to the worsening humanitarian situation involving the Gaza-bound convoy.

“The Indonesian government urges Israel to immediately release all detained humanitarian vessels and crew members, and ensure aid distribution to Palestinians continues under international humanitarian law,” Dudung said at the Presidential Staff Office in Jakarta.

He said the government continues monitoring developments through Indonesia’s diplomatic network abroad, while Indonesian representatives have verified the whereabouts and conditions of Indonesian citizens involved in the incident.

According to Dudung, the Foreign Ministry and Indonesian missions overseas are also preparing protective measures for Indonesian citizens, depending on developments on the ground.

Indonesia has also joined Turkiye, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Jordan, Libya, the Maldives, Pakistan and Spain in a joint statement condemning Israel’s interception of the humanitarian mission.

“Indonesia and nine other countries strongly condemned Israel’s attack on the GSF, while Indonesian representatives remain on standby to coordinate with local authorities,” Dudung said.

The Foreign Ministry said at least 10 humanitarian vessels, including Amanda, Barbaros, Josef and Blue Toys, had been detained.

Authorities have yet to establish contact with the vessel carrying journalists.

The ministry previously said it had coordinated with Indonesian embassies in Ankara, Cairo and Amman to prepare protection measures and possible repatriation efforts for Indonesian citizens if required.

Five Indonesians were detained after Israeli forces intercepted vessels participating in the GSF humanitarian convoy on Monday, May 18.

Four other Indonesians aboard two separate vessels were continuing their voyage in waters near Cyprus, according to the ministry.

Related news: Govt seeks release of Indonesian journalists detained by Israel

Related news: PWI urges protection for Indonesian journalists on Gaza mission



Translator: Maria Cicilia/Genta Tenri, Resinta S
Editor: Rahmad Nasution
Copyright © ANTARA 2026