Five attackers from Jakarta bombing incident killed: Police

Five attackers from Jakarta bombing incident killed: Police

Police stand guard at the Emergency Unit of Central Hospital of the Army (RSPAD) Gatot Subroto, Jakarta, Thursday (Jan. 14, 2015). (ANTARA/Rosa Panggabean)

Two died during the suicide bombings and three others were killed in the exchange of fire with the police."
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Jakarta Police Spokesman Sr Comr Mohammad Iqbal confirmed that the five perpetrators of the Jakarta bomb attacks on Thursday have been killed.

Two of the terrorists reportedly died after launching suicide bomb attacks and three others were killed during the shootout with police.

"Five attackers were killed. Two died during the suicide bombings and three others were killed in the exchange of fire with the police," said M. Iqbal on Thursday.

He further said the number of victims, who suffered serious wounds or who died has risen to 24 from an earlier released figure of 17.

Of the 24 victims, five police officers had suffered serious injuries. "Seven people have died," M. Iqbal added.

Meanwhile, National Police Deputy Chief, Comr Gen Budi Gunawan, said Jakarta has been secured. "Basically, we have secured and taken the situation under control. All corners have been sterilized. I hope the people will not have anything further to worry about," said Budi.

On Thursday morning, two bomb blasts took place in Jalan Thamrin, namely at a Starbucks coffee shop and at a police station near the Sarinah Department Store.

Chief Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Luhut Panjaitan and State Intelligence Agency Head, Sutiyoso had visited the site of the incident on Thursday morning.

Sr Comr M. Iqbal had said earlier that in total, there were 17 victims. Five terrorists were killed; five policemen suffered shooting injuries in front of the coffee shop or from bomb shrapnel; five civilians sustained serious injuries and two were killed. One of the civilians killed was a foreigner.

"Two terrorists carried out suicide attacks and three were shot dead during efforts to arrest them. We want to stress that Jakarta residents can return to their normal activities," he stated.

He further said the victims toll could still change if the victims, who had suffered serious injuries, succumbed. "There could also be victims from the coffee shop, who returned home directly," M. Iqbal noted.

He also assured that there were no additional bomb scares reported, following the bombing attacks at the Sarinah Department Store and the Starbuck coffee shop in Central Jakarta.

"I would like to emphasize that there were no new bomb threats after the bomb blast in the Sarinah area. Rumors stating there were other bombs (following the Sarinah incident) are not true. We will secure all (Jakarta areas)," M. Iqbal said.

He also called on Jakarta residents to carry out their activities normally, but to remain vigilant.

The Jakarta Regional Police spokesman said the use of home-assembled arms used by the terrorists during the Sarinah attack could only be confirmed after an on-site investigation.
(Uu.A014/INE/KR-BSR/H-YH)

Comments