“Due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation, we have planned to add more refugee camps,” Central Jakarta Mayor Bayu Meghantara told local journalists in Kemayoran on Wednesday.
Last year, the city government had set up temporary shelters in 20 places, and this year, the number would be increased to 34, he said, adding that he has mapped areas in Central Jakarta which are prone to flooding during the rainy season.
Vulnerable areas include Benhil, Petamburan, and Karet Tengsin, as well as areas along the Ciliwung River bank, he informed.
Early this year, flash floods triggered by high-intensity rainfall over several days had swamped several areas in 17 sub-districts of Jakarta, and many other subdistricts in the capital city's metropolitan areas, including Bekasi and Bogor.
At least 46 people died in the floods, which also forced 173,064 residents in Jakarta's greater areas to shift to safety, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).
On Monday, flash floods struck some parts of Cicurug, Parungkuda, and Cibadak sub-districts in Sukabumi district, West Java province.
The Sukabumi district government has declared a disaster emergency response status until September 27, 2020 in response to the floods, which have claimed at least two lives, left 10 people wounded, and affected 176 households, or 525 persons.
The flooding was triggered by the overflowing of the Citarik-Cipeucit and Cibojong rivers, and damaged 127 houses in 11 villages.
Sukabumi district head Marwan Hamami said he has declared the disaster emergency response status to accelerate mitigation efforts in the disaster zones to assist affected residents.
As of Wednesday, search and rescue workers have found two of the three residents who had gone missing after being carried away by floodwaters. Search efforts are on to locate the remaining missing resident, Hamami informed. (INE)
Related news: Jakarta's 49 neighborhood associations inundated following downpour
Related news: Flood-hit Kapuas Hulu declares emergency status: BNPB
EDITED BY INE