“The regional police are backed up by the (personnel from) National Police HQ and nearby regional police in an integrated manner,” National Police Head of Public Relations, Brigadier General Trunoyudo Wisnu Andiko, said here on Saturday.
He said Aceh Police have deployed 4,550 personnel, North Sumatra Police 1,754 personnel, and West Sumatra Police 2,743 personnel.
This deployment followed a nationwide disaster alertness preparation routine held last month.
“Police Chief Listyo Sigit Prabowo led the preparation routine last month, involving 155,000 personnel across Indonesia,” he noted.
In addition to personnel, the National Police also deployed several vessels and helicopters, including Police Vessels KP Kutilang 5005 and KP Pinguin 5011.
The Police also deployed K-9 SAR units to search for missing victims, he added.
“K-9 SAR is deployed when reports of missing victims emerge. This is based on field analysis, witness accounts on last known locations, and assessments of geographical and weather conditions at the time,” he said.
Moreover, he said, the Police also set up public kitchens for disaster evacuees.
“There are 28 public kitchens operated by the Sabhara Corps to provide food supplies and basic necessities for affected communities,” Andiko said.
On Saturday morning, the Police sent food assistance, logistics, and rescue equipment to disaster-affected communities in Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra.
The aid was transported using two Police aircraft, Fokker and CN, and includes urgent supplies for vulnerable groups, particularly mothers and children.
In addition to logistics, the Police Medical and Health Center also deployed medicines and medical teams.
Related news: Air Force's Caracal helicopter distributes disaster relief to Sibolga
Related news: Govt's disaster relief arrived in North Sumatra, set for distribution
Related news: RI Govt speeds aid to flood-hit Sumatra provinces
Translator: Nadia, Kenzu
Editor: Azis Kurmala
Copyright © ANTARA 2025