Search continuing for missing landslide victims in East Java

Search continuing for missing landslide victims in East Java

Photo document of a search and rescue (SAR) team is resuming the search for seven more missing victims of landslide in the district of Jombang, East Java, Tuesday (Jan. 28, 2014). (ANTARA/Syaiful Arif)

Local people already buried the seven dead victims.
Jombang, East Java (ANTARA News) - A search and rescue (SAR) team is resuming the search for seven more missing victims of landslide in the district of Jombang, East Java.

The landslide hit four houses in the village of Kopen in the subdistrict of Bareng on Monday night and buried 16 dwellers.

Two of the victims were safe, seven were found dead and seven more are still missing, head of the district disaster controlling agency (BPBD) Gunadi said on Wednesday.

Gunadi said heavy downpour caused the landslide with big piles of earth from the hillside falling into the houses.

He said search was resumed on Wednesday after being halted on Tuesday evening because of heavy rain.

He said it was not impossible that the victims were swept into a river as the houses stood on the river banks with the steep hillfoot behind the houses.

Local people already buried the seven dead victims.

East Java Governor Soekarwo visited the location and handed over an aid of Rp50 million for the five families of the victims.

Heavy equipment had been sent to the location to help in the search.
(Uu.H-ASG/F001)

Comments