Chinese Ambassador confirms more patients recovered from COVID-19

Chinese Ambassador confirms more patients recovered from COVID-19

Chinese ambassador to ASEAN Deng Xijun in a press conference held in Jakarta on Friday (February 21, 2020). (ANTARA/Yashinta Difa/YAS)

The situation in China is still quite challenging. However, since China has taken decisive and strict steps, the situation is getting better
Jakarta (ANTARA) - More patients were recovering from a new type of coronavirus infection or COVID-19, and more had been discharged from the hospital, Chinese Ambassador to ASEAN Deng Xijun said. "The situation in China is still quite challenging. However, since China has taken decisive and strict steps, the situation is getting better," Ambassador Deng said at a press conference held in Jakarta Friday.

Until Friday morning, confirmed cases of coronavirus infections reached 74,000 and the number of patients who were declared cured reached 16,000. At the same time, the death toll from the virus has risen to 2,123.

These statistics showed two phenomena in the progress of handling the COVID-19 originating from Wuhan City in Hubei Province, China, since December last year.

Firstly, it recorded that the number of patients recovered was eight times more than the number of deaths.

Second, apart from Wuhan and Hubei Province, the number of recovering and confirmed cases has continued to decline over the past 16 days.

This positive development was the result of the prevention and control of the COVID-19 carried out by China, including establishing two special hospitals in just 10 days to treat most seriously affected patients, Xijun explained.

Chinese authorities have also converted dozens of sports stadiums and gathering places as mobile hospitals to treat patients with mild symptoms.

Around 32,000 experts, doctors and medical officers have been deployed to strengthen healthcare in Hubei Province.

China has also tightened the boundary rules in several cities and suspended the school schedule, and office and factory entry since the Lunar New Year holiday to reduce movement and contact among its citizens.

"I can say that China has adopted very comprehensive and serious steps, many of which even go far beyond what is required by international health regulations," he said. (INE)
Related news: 58 Chinese nationals seek stay permit extension over coronavirus
Related news: Demand drops as N95 masks priced higher amid coronavirus outbreak


Comments