West Papua police name 19 suspects in Kisor attack case

West Papua police name 19 suspects in Kisor attack case

West Papua police have named 19 suspects in connection with the attack on the Kisor military post in South Aifat sub-district, Maybrat district, on September 2, 2021. Four soldiers died in the attack. (ANTARA/Hans Arnold Kapisa)

Manokwari, W Papua (ANTARA) - The West Papua police have named 19 suspects in connection with the September 2 attack on the Kisor military post in South Aifat sub-district, Maybrat district, which led to the death of four soldiers.

 

Two of the suspects have been placed under police custody, while a hunt has been launched for 17 others, West Papua police spokesperson Senior Commissioner Adam Erwindi told local journalists here on Friday.


Related news: West Papua police chief condemns killing of Kisor soldiers

 

The two suspects in police custody have been identified by their initials as MY (20) and MS (18). MY is a resident of Boksu village, while MS is a resident of Insum village of South Aifat sub-district, he said.

 

The police have launched a manhunt for Silas Ki, Manfred Fatem, Musa Aifat, Setam Kaaf, Titus Sewa, Irian Ki, Alfin Fatem, Agus Kaaf, Melkias Ki, Melkias Same, Amos Ki, Musa Aifat, Moses Aifat, Martinus Aisnak, Yohanes Yaam, Agus Yaam, and Robi Yaam, he added.

 

The West Papua police have released the names of the 17 other suspects based on the confessions of MY and MS to the investigators of South Sorong police precinct, Erwindi informed.

Related news: Okmin University fuels hopes of human resource development in Papua

 

Early last Thursday (September 2, 2021), members of an unidentified terrorist group had ambushed several soldiers while they were sleeping at the Kisor military post.

 

Four soldiers—2nd Sergeant Amrosius, Chief Private Dirham, First Private Zul Ansari, and First Lieutenant Dirman—had died in the attack, while two others had sustained serious injuries.

 

The bodies of three soldiers had been found at the post, while the body of another soldier had been discovered in the bushes not far from the post.

 

Owing to the incident, several local residents had fled their homes over security concerns.

 

Erwindi further disclosed that the ambush had been thoroughly planned and organized by members of the West Papua National Committee operating in the Kisor neighborhood of Maybrat district.


Related news: W Papua: Soldier injured in ambush evacuated to Jakarta army hospital

 

Therefore, the police had classified the assault as a premeditated crime by the KNPB-Kisor chapter, led by Silas Ki, he said.

 

A joint team of personnel from the Indonesian Military and National Police force will continue their efforts to arrest all perpetrators, he added.

 

To this end, local residents are requested to inform security personnel if they have information on the suspects' whereabouts, Erwindi said.

 

Referring to the September 2 attack, West Papua Governor Dominggus Mandacan had earlier appealed to residents of Kisor village to help security personnel capture the killers of the four soldiers.


Related news: Bodies mount in Papua as fight against terror continues
 

Mandacan, who visited the scene of the shooting on September 4, 2021, also asked Kisor villagers who had fled to the forest to return home and resume their normal lives.

 

"The villagers do not need to panic or take refuge in the forest because the government works with the military and police to ensure public safety and security," he said.

 

The assault on the Kisor military post in West Papua has added to the list of cases of armed violence in Papua and highlighted the grave danger posed by Papuan separatist terrorists.


Related news: West Papua: TNI urges refugees to return home

Related news: Army personnel safeguard refugees from armed Papuan terrorists

Comments