Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Student Executive Board (BEM) of the University of Indonesia (UI) removed trash from North Jakarta coast as part of a series of activities of the World Cleanup Day 2022 observed on Saturday.

The protection of coastal ecosystem was crucial in order to preserve biodiversity, Ghazi Ahmad of the Environmental Affairs Department of the UI's BEM, said here on Saturday.

Some 80 percent of the garbage on the coast of North Jakarta come from land and the remaining 20 percent is waste from fish farming such as nets.

Garbage washes into Jakarta Bay can reach around 8.3 tons every day . The garbage in Jakarta Bay later ends up on the beaches in North Jakarta.

The UI students collected garbage along Pademangan beach, next to Ancol area, North Jakarta.

The collected garbage were later transported by the Jakarta Environmental Service to a landfill.

The theme of the UI's coastal area cleanup action was "Preservation of Beaches, Preservation of Life".

Meanwhile, for more than 35 years, the International Coastal Cleanup® (ICC) has galvanized communities worldwide to collect trash that pollutes waterways, making coasts cleaner and our ocean healthier .

In partnership with volunteer organizations and individuals around the globe, ICC engages people to remove trash from the world’s beaches and waterways.

Thanks to volunteers around the world, the ICC has become a beacon of hope, leading and inspiring action in support of our ocean. Since its beginning, more than 17 million volunteers have collected more than 348 million pounds of trash.

This year, the World Cleanup Day is participated in by some 60 million volunteers from 191 countries.

Related news: Volunteers collect 1.5 tons of trash from Mount Gede-Pangrango
Related news: Environment Ministry urges producers to use trash from garbage banks
Related news: Jakarta deploys thousands of river troops to clear trash

Translator: Abdu Faisal, Fardah
Editor: Sri Haryati
Copyright © ANTARA 2022