Jakarta (ANTARA) - Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin inspected a health post operated by the Bukit Barisan I Military Command (Kodam I/Bukit Barisan) in Batang Toru subdistrict, South Tapanuli, North Sumatra, which has been running as part of a humanitarian mission.

During the visit, Captain (Medical Corps) Alfian of the Bukit Barisan I Military Health Unit (Kesdam I/Bukit Barisan) said the medical team had been deployed since the first day of the disaster, operating for 36 days and treating around 2,300 patients. The most common cases involved acute respiratory infections and skin diseases.

“We also have nurses and other paramedics on standby at the Batu Gula post,” Alfian said in a written statement received in Jakarta on Thursday.

The defense minister’s presence, Alfian added, underscored the Indonesian National Armed Forces’ (TNI) role not only in defense, but also in humanitarian missions.

The health post is staffed daily by medical personnel, including two doctors from Kesdam I/Bukit Barisan, with additional support from local community health centers and the regional health office.

He said President Prabowo’s visit to the disaster area alongside Defense Minister Sjafrie highlighted the government’s commitment to comprehensive post-disaster recovery. The focus, he noted, is not only on rebuilding strategic infrastructure but also on ensuring access to health services for affected communities.

The government, he added, is ensuring continued coordination between the TNI, local governments, and health workers to accelerate rehabilitation and recovery efforts in South Tapanuli in a safe and sustainable manner.

Related news: Indonesia mobilizes 37,970 soldiers to disaster-hit Sumatra regions

Related news: All general hospitals in Sumatra flood-hit provinces resume operations

Translator: Bagus, Azis Kurmala
Editor: Primayanti
Copyright © ANTARA 2026