Rais confirms PAN to officially remain outside Jokowi administration

Rais confirms PAN to officially remain outside Jokowi administration

National Mandate Party (PAN) patron Amien Rais. (ANTARA PHOTO/Aprillio Akbar/rn)

Jakarta (ANTARA) - National Mandate Party (PAN) patron Amien Rais expressed his party’s decision to remain outside the Joko Widodo (Jokowi)-Ma'ruf Amin administration and to apply a system of substantive checks and balances.

"The PAN leader has informed me in hushed tones that it does not intend to join the upcoming cabinet line-up," he stated at a ceremony commemorating this political party's 21th anniversary here on Friday.

The PAN will play its check-and-balance role in a constructive manner by offering inputs and suggesting corrections if the government's policies were found to be inappropriate, he remarked, adding that he had sensed immense relief with PAN's clear stance and position.

The PAN central executive board members brought in celebrations for the party's 21st anniversary under the elevated toll road of Pejagalan in Pluit, North Jakarta.

Attendees at the event comprised key figures, such as the party's general chairman, Zulkifli Hasan; the party's secretary general, Edy Soeparno; and chairman of the party's central executive board, concurrently Bogor Mayor Bima Arya.

Related news: PAN keen to join Jokowi-Ma'ruf coalition unconditionally
Related news: Police should probe intellectual actors behind May 21-22 riots: PAN


Incumbent President and President-elect of Indonesia Joko Widodo (Jokowi) had yet to announce his cabinet line-up, but he did hint at a possibility of his cabinet featuring members from different political parties and diverse professional backgrounds.

Jokowi disclosed that political elites may constitute 60 percent of the cabinet posts, while those, with professional backgrounds, will fill in the other 40 percent.

In conversation with journalists after attending the opening of Karya Kreatif Indonesia, a small and medium enterprises (SMEs) craft exhibition in Jakarta on July 12, 2019, he stated that the blueprint of his upcoming cabinet line-up had also existed.

Jokowi also hinted at the likelihood of retaining several of those, who had been his cabinet members in his first term.

The General Elections Commission (KPU) officially declared Jokowi and Amin as president-elect and vice president-elect following the Constitutional Court's ruling on the presidential election result dispute on June 27, 2019.

As the president-elect, Jokowi had also highlighted his five priority programs for his second presidential term during 2019-2024 while speaking at an event called "Indonesian Vision."

The head of state will continue infrastructure development, boost the development of human resources, invite investment that can create job opportunities, reform structural bureaucracy, and improve budget utilization.

The Jokowi administration’s five priority programs for the next five years are projected to respond to Indonesia's internal and external challenges.

Related news: Jokowi believed to recruit young people in cabinet: political analyst
Related news: Megawati's request for more cabinet posts is understandable: PKB

Comments