"The victims who died because of the earthquake in Cianjur district amounted to 268 people," he informed at the Cianjur District Hall.
Out of the 268 victims, 122 have already been identified, he said.
He further informed that some victims have remained missing and the search is still on for 151 more people.
"Whether these 151 people will be part of those who have not been identified, we will investigate later. We are still conducting search and rescue for those who are missing," he said.
Based on BNPB data, the number of injured victims reached 1,083 as of Tuesday afternoon, while the number of people seeking shelter in refugee camps was pegged at 58,362.
Meanwhile, 6,570 homes suffered heavy damage, 2,071 suffered moderate damage, and 12,641 were lightly damaged in the quake. Information on the rest is still being collected.
The 5.6-magnitude earthquake, which occurred at 1:21 p.m. local time on November 21, was centered 10 kilometers southwest of Cianjur district, West Java, at a depth of 10 km. No tsunami warning was sounded following the quake.
Meanwhile, based on its analysis, the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) predicted that the earthquake could potentially recur every 20 years.
BMKG head Dwikorita Karnawati said that similar quakes were previously reported in Cianjur in 2000 and 1982. For this reason, houses built in the area in the future must be made earthquake-resistant.
Residents whose houses were heavily damaged in the quake will receive assistance worth Rp50 million, while Rp25 million will be provided to those whose houses suffered moderate damage and Rp10 million to people whose houses sustained light damage.
Related news: 142 school buildings damaged in Cianjur quake: official
Related news: Need to monitor nutritional intake of Cianjur child victims: BKKBN
Related news: President provides fast food to Cianjur quake victims