Papuan religious figures wished they could settle the Tolikara problem by themselves ..."
Jayapura (ANTARA News) - Chief security minister Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno said here Saturday that the situation in Tolikara, Papua, has been calm following a riot on July 17.

"It is peaceful, conducive situation. That is the important thing. I reiterate that Tolikara has been peaceful and conducive. It was also assured at a Regional Leaders Communication Forum (Forkompimda) meeting yesterday," he said.

He added that the situation had been confirmed as peaceful based on reports from various parties, including security agencies, religious figures and Papuan executives.

"According to reports that I received, including from you journalists, that Friday prayers had been held peacefully yesterday in Karubaga (the capital of Tolikara district). There was no prohibitions or disruptions," he said.

The peaceful Friday prayers showcased how the local, provincial governments and stakeholders, including Muslims and Christians in Papua, had worked to settle the problem, he said.

"Papuan religious figures wished they could settle the Tolikara problem by themselves, because Muslims and Christians in Papua live harmoniously and with tolerance. They said they could settle it by themselves," the minister said.

Further, he appealed to journalists in Papua to distribute balanced information with professionalism.

"The hope is you journalists could be wise enough in informing a case with a potential huge effect. Let us together boost a humanist attitude," he said.

Minister Tedjo and his entourage met with the Forkompinda of Papua at the Papua governors office on Friday to discuss the Tolikara incident.

He arrived at Sentani airport at 12.00 East Indonesia Time and immediately proceeded to the governors office, along with sixth deputy for politics, security and legal affairs, Arif Mukiyat.

He was welcomed at the airport by Jayapura district head Mathius Awoitauw, the Jayapura 1701 Military Command, Lt. Col. Yoyok Pranowo, Papua governors assistant Doren Wakerkwa and Jayapura air base chief Col. I Made Susila Adyana.

At the governors office he was welcomed by Papua governor Lukas Enembe, 7th Cenderawasih military commander Major General Fransen Siahaan, Papua regional police chief Inspector General Yotje Mende, Papua legislative assembly chairman Yunus Wonda, head of the Papua high prosecutors office, Herman da Silva, and president of the Evangelical Church in Indonesia (GIDI) Dorman Wandikmbo.

He held a discussion during a dinner held in a restaurant at the provincial capital with journalists and the executive board of the Papua regional branch of the Indonesian Youth National Committee (KNPI).

A group of people believed to be members of the Evangelical Church of Indonesia (GIDI) stormed Muslims who were performing an Eid prayer on Friday.

According to the chairman of the Communion of Evangelical Churches and Institutions in Indonesia, Roni Mandang, there was chaos after police officers fired shots at them, which led to the torching of kiosks. Flames from these fires spread to the Islamic house of prayer, once it was known that a person had been shot dead.

Moreover, Spokesman for the Public Information Division of the National Police Senior Commissioner Suharsono said that the police had opened fire to control rioters and to keep them away from the mosque.

It was later confirmed that one person was killed and 11 others wounded in the incident.

The country was gripped with tension following the incident.

(Reporting by Alfian Rumagit/Uu.H-YH/INE/KR-BSR/F001)

Editor: Priyambodo RH
Copyright © ANTARA 2015