This study used big data, and until April 5, an upward trend (was observed) for these three commodities
Jakarta (ANTARA) - The prices of staple food commodities, such as cooking oil, red chili, chicken meat, and eggs, will continue to increase throughout April, Head of Statistics Indonesia (BPS), Margo Yuwono, stated here on Thursday.

"This study used big data, and until April 5, an upward trend (was observed) for these three commodities," Yuwono remarked.

BPS noted that the price of cooking oil had skyrocketed again in early April, although its average price had decreased in March 2022.

Meanwhile, according to the study, the average price of red chili had increased in the market and had not shown any signs of a decline in the pricing. However, the price of meat and eggs of broiler chicken tended to be stable.

Related news: Pertamax price hike due to global economic volatility: President

Yuwono stated that cooking oil had been a major contributor to inflation over the past three months due to the increased prices of crude palm oil (CPO). In detail, cooking oil inflation in January was recorded at 0.31 percent year-on-year (yoy), 0.20 percent (yoy) in February, and 0.24 percent in March (yoy).

He forecast another likely inflation in April 2022 as a result of an increase in the administered prices that include the price adjustment of non-subsidized LPG, Pertamax, and Value Added Tax (VAT).

Related news: BPS pegs March inflation at 0.66%

"This has high potential to cause an inflation hike in April. There is also an increasing demand during the fasting (month) and Eid al-Fitr as well as government policies that potentially cause inflation," he explained.

"People's consumption is mostly on food. Hence, if food inflation cannot be controlled, then it is certain that welfare of the lower class will be impacted," he stated.

Yuwono stressed that if food inflation protracts, then it will increase the poverty line, as it is determined by 74.05 percent of food and the remaining 25.95 percent of non-food.

Related news: Cooking oil cash assistance to facilitate small vendors: President

Related news: President Jokowi visits Kedaton Temple in Muaro Jambi

Translator: Kuntum R, Kenzu T
Editor: Fardah Assegaf
Copyright © ANTARA 2022