The number of deaths from the 5.6-magnitude quake increased by one from 271 reported by the BNPB the previous day.
“Today, we found the body of Mrs. Nining, aged 64. Now, the number of victims has increased to 272," BNPB’s Head Lieutenant General Suharyanto informed at Cianjur District Hall on Thursday.
According to him, of the 272 dead, 165 have been identified. There are still 107 bodies whose identities are being verified.
He then asked the family members of people who are still missing to report them to the Main Command Post at the Cianjur District Hall. The report must be detailed, starting with the name, gender, characteristics, and other information, Suharyanto added.
Earlier on Wednesday, the number of missing people was 40, he said. After one body was found, the number of missing reached 39. The search to find them is still on.
Of the 39 people, 32 were residents of Cijedil Village, Cugenang Sub-district. Meanwhile, the remaining seven were passing through Cijedil Village when the earthquake struck.
"We have identified the missing victims' names. It will be easier for our Search and Rescue (SAR) team to search for them," Suharyanto said.
He also asked the public not to make the disaster site a spectacle or a tourist spot. Because, according to him, this could hinder the officers' work in the field.
"This is a disaster in 15 sub-districts; many small roads are remote, so if people flock there, the handling of refugees will be hampered," he added.
According to the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG), the earthquake struck at 1:21 p.m. local time on November 21, 2022. It was centered 10 km southwest of Cianjur district at a depth of 10 km, with no potential to trigger a tsunami.
Related news: Trapped 60 hours without food, water, 6-year-old's rescue sparks hope
Related news: Ministry sends fish, staple goods for Cianjur quake victims