Second Sergeant Rikson farewelled with full military honors on Friday

Second Sergeant Rikson farewelled with full military honors on Friday

A map of Papua Island. (FA)

Palembang, S Sumatra (ANTARA) - The coffin of fallen Indonesian soldier of the Sriwijaya Regional Military Command, who died while securing a massive demonstration in Deiyai District, Papua, Wednesday, will be buried at the Prabumulih Heroes Cemetery, South Sumatra, Friday.

"The coffin of Second Sergeant Rikson is expected to arrive at Palembang, the capital city of South Sumatra Province, this evening," Sriwijaya Regional Military Command spokesman Colonel Djohan Darmawan stated here on Thursday.

Shortly on arrival in Palembang, the fallen soldier’s coffin will be transported to Karang Endah for a military funeral at the Prabumulih Heroes Cemetery on Friday, he stated.

Second Sergent Rikson lost his life after brutal demonstrators attacked him and several other security personnel, who had secured a demonstration against the Surabaya incident.

The circle of violence that erupted in Deiyai District, some 500 kilometers away from Jayapura, the capital city of Papua Province, ended with the demise of an army soldier and two civilians.

Speaking in connection with this Deiyai incident, Papua Police Chief, Inspector General Rudolf Rodja, explained that initially, the rally staged by some 100 people in front of the district office had proceeded in a peaceful manner.

However, this peaceful protest then took a violent turn following the arrival of at least a thousand people. Several of them attacked an army vehicle and forcibly seized 10 SS-1 assault rifles from the car along with the loaded magazines, he stated.

Second Sergeant Rikson were assaulted and killed by rioters, who used arrows and machetes.

With the assault rifles forcibly taken from the army vehicle, several armed protesters also began to shot at security personnel securing the rally. An exchange of fire then occurred, Rodja stated.

Consequently, three people died and five army and police personnel sustained injuries, he revealed.

The demonstration, which ended with a deadly attack on the Indonesian security personnel, occurred a day after Indonesian Military (TNI) Commander Air Chief Marshall Hadi Tjahjanto and National Police Chief Gen. Tito Karnavian visited Biak Numfor District.

Related news: Indonesians face challenge ahead to fight racis, separatism in Papua

During their brief working visit, Tjahjanto and Karnavian engaged in a dialog with several representatives of the Papuan customary communities at the VIP room of the Manuhua Air Force Base in Biak.

The dialogue, aimed at gaining a clear insight into the aspirations of local community leaders, took place after native Papuans in Papua and West Papua held a succession of rallies to demonstrate against the alleged act of racism against Papuan students in Surabaya.

The dialog ended smoothly, and Tjahjanto expressed gratitude to the Papuan customary communities in Biak for their commitment to preserving the integrity of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia.

"I thank the people of Biak for their commitment to maintaining Indonesia's integrity and security of the community members to ensure the continuation of development programs and government services to the people," he informed journalists. Related news: Indonesian Police stations 300 personnel in Papua

Related news: Three killed in riot in Deiyai District